Sunday, May 23, 2010

Commentary on ACIM Lesson 143

©2010 Rev. David Seacord

My mind holds only what I think with God.

 

 (125) In quiet I receive God's Word today. 

(126) All that I give is given to myself.

 

 

It's not only that everything I give is given to my self, it is also everything I do to or for another, I do unto myself too....

 

Recently I was playing the piano while visiting the home of a  friend.  She told me she was planning to take lessons soon, and was listening to me play with obvious enjoyment, and closely watching my hands.  My selfless 'I' was inspired by her attention, and it got me up off the bench and it had her sit down and it said 'play what you do know for me', which she did.  Looking back I can see 'the magic' that then happened was in the not assessing anything, not judging anything.  I just watched what she did and saw it.  

 

Then I sat beside her on the left and showed her a simple drone arpeggio and asked her to copy it.  She did it easily.  I said, 'keep playing it', and, moving to her right side played a simple melody to the drone arpeggio she was playing.  "How do you know what to play?", she asked.  "By the sound, and how you feel", I answered, and then took her right hand by the wrist over to the keys and said, "You do it now, while keeping the left hand playing too".   She started playing slowly a simple melody line, and then her innate musicality began to flow.  

 

I watched as she played her first improvisation with a deep warmth arising in my heart.  I was witnessing a new world opening for my friend, one that had been calling to her, one that clearly was nurturing.  She was excited and happy, just like a child.  For fear had disappeared, and she was playing her own music.  

 

Today, looking back at that moment from down the road many miles, something in me 'connected'.  I saw that it was moments like that that call me to 'being a teacher'.  I saw that being a teacher is simply being unafraid to respond and share whatever it is that the moment calls for, even when you don't know (when you first respond) what it is you will be sharing, or where the knowledge that is needed will arrive from.  But being a teacher is knowing that the impulse to give to another is the trigger that will open (within the 'personal me') the receptiveness to receive 'what the moment needs'.  

 

Of myself I can do nothing, including 'teach'.  Yet in the quietude of my 'empty-of-myself-in-the-moment' mind (which occurs naturally when attention is being fully given) the unlimited abundant  supply of Holy Grace provides everything needed 'right on time'.  

 

Today, this I testify to, and this I teach, that I may also so learn (even more). 

 

Namaste, 

 

David

 

PS.  My apologies for the glitches of the last couple days.  Because the image file (even at low resolution) is sizable, I am not including any today.  Hopefully in the near future I'll be able to begin again with them.  

_______________________________

 

Lesson 143

My mind holds only what I think with God.

(125) In quiet I receive God's Word today. 
(126) All that I give is given to myself.