Friday, June 18, 2010

Commentary on ACIM Lesson 169

©2010 Rev. David Seacord

By grace I live, by grace I am released.

Prologue:

Sometimes life asks for a future commitment, and then, as the time approaches, other conflicting commitments arise that challenge us in the keeping of our word.... Living fearlessly means knowing 'it will all work', and allowing God to help us in doing that....

*****************************

Several months ago I delightedly accepted a Landmark scholarship (thanking me for decorating their Phoenix center with my art 'pro bono' for several years) to an expensive 'advanced communication' course. It did not 'register' to me then that the course dates (this coming weekend) were the same as both my mom's birthday and also, as it turns out, Fathers Day. But that did begin occurring to me a couple of weeks ago, when I mentioned to my parents I would be gone on those dates. Mom's look let me know I was missing something...

Being blind but not stupid, I figured it out pretty quick. And so did they (that it was not really an option to cancel the scholarship, and that I would be attending the course, and so, be absent on their 'big day'). They graciously downplayed their disappointment, and I went into a bit of denial, ignored the impact, and pretended it was no big deal. Except of course, in the back of my heart was a sadness about it too.

Anyway, as I am to leave for Phoenix tomorrow (that would be, by the time you read this, today, Friday 6-18), when I awoke this morning it was clear that today was the day, and that I'd better do something for them that was really special, because, not only did it have to have an impact that lasted for several days, it was also 'probably going to be' my Dad's last Fathers Day, and I, waking up to that, desired to find a way to honor him appropriately for all that he has been for me in my life...

But I didn't have a clue what I could do that would be suitably memorable. The time to 'ask for help' had clearly arrived....

************************

The phone rang and I was informed that the semi-truck from Oregon delivering my local wholesale health-food buying club order would arrive in an hour (we all meet it at a spot on the side of the road). That got me out the door and off the property.

After receiving my gogi berries etc, my car sorta just drove me to the supermarket, and I went in. Yes, they had flowers. Good. Normally, I'm frugaland practical, and would buy something potted, but I knew better this time.... So, let's see... ahhhh, Roses... right... but what color... (an old memory of my mom loving a song called 'The Yellow Rose of Texas' comes into my mind).... right, Yellow Roses... I pick out the only dozen they have, and start to head to the check out... something whispers 'wait', and I stop. A big bouquet of multicolored blooms said 'me too'... Hum, doubles the price, but OK, you to then... Then, I remembered the last time I'd given Mom some flowers, there was a problem about no vase being available... OK, God...I get we're splurging? So I ask at the Customer Service counter, "Do you have vases, and a florist?". You bet. She's on a break. I'll go get her. 'Thank you'.

Me and the florist hit it right off as soon as I said 'It's for my Mom, she's going to be 84 Sunday'.... She suggested a large ($$$) vase, suggested greens and babies breath and a ribbon too ($$$) and after swallowing at the estimated total ($$$) and giving the go-ahead as an act of faith that God IS real, we went to work like a well-oiled team. She picked up clues from me (as I removed a wilted petal, she began doing that too), I picked up clues from her (cut the rose stems, remove the lower leaves [keeps the water fresher, she said]). We had a good time communing and creating beauty together, and I thanked her from my heart for her service, paying the price with a happy affirmation of abundance, for was I not God's son, and well provided for? Yes Yes Yes.

I knew 'I'd done good' when all the staff at the home ooooh'd and aaaahhhh'd. 'That might even top the chocolate that just arrived from your sister', one said (at places like this, staff often become 'kinda like family').

I've known Mom has been 're-evaluating' her opinions of me of late. She'd acknowledged it kinda 'sideways' (that she musta have underestimated me) when she found the Haagendaz in her freezer that she'd thought I'd intentionally not gotten her (because I don't eat dairy et. al.) But I could see from the look on her face that she never expected to see a bouquet like this one come from me. She kept trying to get me to say 'It's for both you and Dad' (which I finally did, but only to make her more comfortable). The Yellow Roses of Honor were then placed on the table outside the apartment door, so that my Mom could beamingly SHARE with everyone her pleasure....

Epitaph: You can only meet another where they are, and how they are.

Tomorrow, how I early-celebrated Fathers Day with my Dad....

Namaste,

David