Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Commentary on ACIM Lesson 90
©2010 Rev. David Seacord

Reviewing Lesson79 (Let me recognize the problem so it can be solved.)
and Lesson 80 (Let me recognize my problems have been solved.)

Doing something different. Placing today's short and simple Lesson first, Commentary second.

Lesson 90

For this review we will use these ideas:

(79) Let me recognize the problem so it can be solved.

Let me realize today that the problem is always some form of grievance that I would cherish. Let me also understand that the solution is always a miracle with which I let the grievance be replaced. Today I would remember the simplicity of salvation by reinforcing the lesson that there is one problem and one solution. The problem is a grievance; the solution is a miracle. And I invite the solution to come to me through my forgiveness of the grievance, and my welcome of the miracle that takes its place.

Specific applications of this idea might be in these forms:

This presents a problem to me which I would have resolved.
The miracle behind this grievance will resolve it for me.
The answer to this problem is the miracle that it conceals.



(80) Let me recognize my problems have been solved.

I seem to have problems only because I am misusing time. I believe that the problem comes first, and time must elapse before it can be worked out. I do not see the problem and the answer as simultaneous in their occurrence. That is because I do not yet realize that God has placed the answer together with the problem, so that they cannot be separated by time. The Holy Spirit will teach me this, if I will let Him. And I will understand it is impossible that I could have a problem which has not been solved already.

These forms of the idea will be useful for specific applications:

I need not wait for this to be resolved.
The answer to this problem is already given me, if I will accept it.
Time cannot separate this problem from its solution.

**********************
'Let me'. Something inside suddenly asked 'who' am I asking to 'let me'? I thought about it, and had the understanding arise that it was not 'God' I was asking this of, it was me. I am asking my our being to join in a complete oneminded unity and allow into my awareness a specific increase of consciousness. That tips me off to that I must be the one not allowing myself to see that way in the first place.... Ahhhhhh.....

Then I read the line 'The Holy Spirit will teach me this, if I will let Him.' There is that 'let' word again. But this time, it is being clear that it is I that controls if I will 'let' Him . I went to my dictionary. Turns out 'let' is one of those short simple words that has all kinds of finely nuanced meanings. The one seemingly most appropriate here? 1. "Used to express one's strong desire for something to happen or be the case" and also 2. "not prevent or forbid; allow ". Perhaps there is something I can 'let go of' that will 'allow more spirit'. Yes God to that, Let me see.....

**********************

'Today' I have been 'too busy to think'. I have driven, and my son has flown, and we are together for a few days in a large city. He is of course, my teacher, simply by being. His 'nineteen year oldness' and his naturally honest sharing about his life and his desires for it are the subject of my attention as we spend work and play time together. Love is present. And it is easy to 'let be'.

How grateful I am he exists.... To have parents still alive to learn transience and gratitude from, to have a soulful son who is wise beyond his age, to be alive myself and to have a heart quickened by Love of God.... all these merge into a sense that "surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life".

I thank you for your spiritual friendship also..... for these early morning communions with you on this journey to our holiness. Today we celebrate our 90 day/ quarter year milepost. All is 'as well as I will allow' and 'let' my Self receive. For you, I see the same.

Namaste,

David