Friday, April 16, 2010

 

Commentary on ACIM Lesson 106

©2010 Rev. David Seacord

 

 

Let me be still and listen to the truth.

__________________________________

 

I am just waking up, coming back to physical reality from sleep with 'a new possibility', and I am compelled to write it this morning (Thursday A.M.). It is the possibility of being whole, which now means simply, 'not needing'.  I know, I have said the words before.  Yet I have just been seeing (being shown in my sleeping state) how subtly I have been being completely inauthentic, that I have not really embraced my aloneness at all, and have, in fact, been unconsciously using my 'spirituality' to try to attract a new/better/different mate/companion into my life as my path to escaping that aloneness.  This is not just now.  This is the background of my life that I have been not awake to.  It's been running my life for years. (And of course, because it has be an 'avoidance' instead of an 'embracing', it has not worked.)  

 

When I got confronted ([last night before I'd finished writing C-105,] by my excellent friend and coach, Sarah [who knows me very well because she was my mate for 7 years]) with her point of view that it was ethically off to be 'being a holy man to attract a lover' I was able to hear her (by grace) because I have just fallen down flat on my face attempting to do just that (again), and I am still feeling my heart's sadness about that mistake.  But, as I am (hallelujah!) 'catching myself in the act' (because of my commitment to be willing to spiritually grow), I am briefly without the habitual ego defenses I usually 'have up'.  That is my amazing good luck, as I am seeing it now.  That's why it is important to write NOW, before I become 'egoically reassembled'.  (This being my 'opportunity to reassemble differently'.)

 

As I contemplate this new possibility, I see that it has me reaching to stand taller than I have ever been able to stand before.  I am wondering if I 'have it in me', for the vision of the new me is one that has me giving up needing anyone (outside my Self) in order to be whole.  Of course I have been able to say these words before, but each time I really deal with myself, I see I have more ego tap root to pull out of me that I have been 'being blind to'.  (Sometimes it seems endless, but I choose to believe it is not.) 

 

I laid in bed wondering (before I understood fully the 'end of the dream' was 'what was up') 'Well, who would be my dating pool if everyone I enter a holy relationship with is off limits?'  At first I thought about 'the raw food community', and since that is part of my core lifestyle, that that might be ok.  But my past experience is that rawfooders are just people with egos like everybody else, and pretty soon my spiritual ego would show up and do its dance to see if 'you're the one' and then of course, I'd invite them to join the Commentaries, and presto, now they are 'off limits' too (if I am rigorous about my integrity, which it looks like 'this new possibility' requires).  

 

And, it does.  What I get is required to 'leave the dream' and be a completely whole and authentically free being is an amazingly simple thing....  absolutely not grasping for, absolutely 'not needing' ANYTHING that is not 'God-given'.  Absolutely not going there.  I know it sounds impossible, because everything in the world works to get us (me) to grasp for it, to want it, to desire it, to keep dreaming.  But as Buddha said, thisis suffering.  In so doing, we (I) give it (the desire, the want) our (my) power (and our/my life).  And, at the same time, we (I) cut ourselves off from God's infinite power and supply by believing in (valuing) an illusion that is only a dream.  

 

It is this 'being cut off from God's power and supply' (which I first created by valuing an illusion, say like, desiring somebody's sexiness) that created my 'aloneness' in the first place. So not only am I doing it to myself, but my 'aloneness' is also an illusion that I am also creating.  Because, it is impossible to feel 'alone' (not enough) when actually connected to God, His Power, His Supply.  God help me!  (Which of course, IS happening every instant..) 

 

Man, when do I get to stop exposing myself!? Answer:  When no self remains.  To quote an old friend (songwriter Steven Walters) God's curriculum is 'Nothing less than everything'.  

 

Namaste, 

 

David

 

PS....  During the day, I received much love in different forms.  One form arrived by email from a friend... some worthy and on-point quotes for contemplation.  Enjoy.

__________________________________________________________

 

The first step toward change is acceptance. Once you accept yourself, you open the door to change. That's all you have to do. Change is not something you do, it's something you allow.

 

Will Garcia

 

The art of living does not consist in preserving and clinging to a particular mode of happiness, but in allowing happiness to change its form without being disappointed by the change; happiness, like a child, must be allowed to grow up.

Charles L. Morgan

 

Let's honor our mistakes by allowing them to teach us. Let's consider our failings to be gifts, and share them humbly with others. Let the cracks in our perfect facades let in light and air so that new life can grow through them.

Molly Gordon

____________________________________________________________

First person edited version

 

Lesson 106

Let me be still and listen to the truth.

If I will lay aside the ego's voice, however loudly it may seem to call; if I will not accept its petty gifts that give me nothing that I would really chose; if I will listen with an open mind (that has not told me what salvation is); then I will hear the mighty Voice of truth, quiet in power, strong in stillness, and completely certain in Its messages.

If I will listen and hear, my Father will speak to me through His appointed Voice (which silences the thunder of the meaningless, and shows the way to peace if ever I cannot see). I will be still today and listen to the truth. I will not be deceived by voices of the dead, which tell me they have found the source of life and offer it to me for my belief. I will attend them not. I will listen to the truth.

Today, I shall not be afraid to circumvent the voices of the world. I will walk lightly past their meaningless persuasions. I shall hear them not. Today, I shall be still, and listen to the truth. I shall go past all things which do not speak of Him Who holds my happiness within His Hand, held out to me in welcome and in love. Hearing only Him today, I shall not wait to reach Him longer. I will hear His One Voice today.

Today the promise of God's Word is kept. I hear and be silent. He speaks to me. He comes with miracles a thousand times as happy and as wonderful as those I ever dreamed or wished for in my dreams. His miracles are true. They will not fade when dreaming ends. They end the dream instead; and last forever, for they come from God to His dear Son, whose other name is me. I Prepare myself for His miracles today. Today I allow my Father's ancient pledge (to me and all my brothers) to be kept.

I Hear Him today, and listen to the Word which lifts the veil that lies upon the earth, and wakes all those who sleep and cannot see. God calls to them through me. He uses my voice to speak to them, for who could reach God's Son except his Father, calling through my Self? I Hear Him today, and offer Him my voice to speak to all the multitude who wait to hear the Word that He will speak today.

I AM ready for salvation. It is here, and will today be given unto me. And I will learn my function from the One Who chose it in my Father's Name for me. I Listen today, and I will hear a Voice which will resound throughout the world through me. The bringer of all miracles has necessity that I receive them first, and thus I become the joyous giver of what I have received.

Thus does salvation start and thus it ends; when everything is mine and everything is given away, it will remain with me forever. And then, the lesson has been learned. Today I practice giving, not the way I have understood it up to now, but as it is. Each hour's exercises I will begin with this request for my enlightenment:

I will be still and listen to the truth.
What does it mean to give and to receive?

As I Ask I will expect an answer. My request is one whose answer has been waiting long to be received by me. It will begin the ministry for which I came, and which will free the world from thinking giving is a way to lose. And so does the world becomes ready to understand and to receive.

I will Be Still and Listen to the truth today. For each five minutes spent in listening, a thousand minds will be opened to the truth and they will hear the holy Word I hear. And when the hour is past, I will again release a thousand more who pause to ask that truth be given them, along with me.

Today the holy Word of God is kept through my receiving it to give it away, so I can teach the world what giving means... by listening and learning it of Him. I shall not forget today to reinforce my choice to hear and to receive the Word of God by this reminder, given to myself as often as is possible today:

Let me now be still and listen to the truth.
I am the messenger of God today,
My voice is His, to give what I receive.

_______________________________________

Note: I love this lesson.  It reads so beautifully, and it only takes about 5 minutes to read this aloud.  I am going to attempt to read this aloud to myself 'several' times today.  Please join me in this as you are inspired.....