Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Commentary on ACIM Lesson 97

©2010 Rev. David Seacord

 

 

I am spirit.

 

 

 

Today I discovered something that helped me.  It was a simple little thing that I have suggested in principle to you a couple of times recently--- to convert a practice to 'first person singular'.  Today I did the whole lesson that way, aloud, and slow.  It was like going klunk, breathe, klunk, breathe, klunk.  

 

What I noticed was it all went in deeper, that it 'got past' my ego better.  My whole day was lived more 'inside the Course'.  And I got 'spirit-instructed' to do it in these Commentaries.  So, beginning today, below my own writing will be two copies of the lesson [HOWEVER, IN THESE ARCHIVES, I AM PLACING ONLY THE REVISED VERSION].  First, my first person singular revised version, and then, the 'untouched' regular version.  If you wish to use my revised version, I suggest you try doing as I did, reading slowly, and aloud.  As it's an experiment, please let me know if it has helped you or not.  Nothing is set in stone...  it's all about helping us 'go deeper'.

 

_____________________________

 

My revisions are in italics.  Bold type and underlines indicate added emphasis.

 

Lesson 97

I am spirit.

Today's idea re-identifies me as completely unified with my actual Self.Today's idea accepts no split identity, nor does it try to weavenon-existent opposing factors into an impossible 'unity'. Today's ideasimply states the truth. I will practice this truth today as often as I am instructed, for I know it will bring my mind away from all conflict, andinto the quiet fields of perfect peace. There, no chill of fear can everenter, for my holy mind has been absolved from madness, by completelyletting go of all illusions of a split identity.

I will state again the truth about my One Self, the holy Son of God Who rests in meand whose mind has now been restored to sanity. I amspirit, lovingly endowed with all my Father's Love and peace and joy. I am the spirit which completes God Himself, and shareswith God His function as Creator. He IS God, He IS with mealways, as I AM also with Him.

Today I shall bring God's reality still closer to meeven into my mind. Each time I practice, God's unlimited awareness is brought a little nearerme (at the least); and sometimes a thousand years or more of learning time is saved. The minutes of practice which I give are multiplied over and over, for 'the miracle' makes use of time, but is not ruled by it. Salvation is a miracle, the first and the last; the first that IS the last, for it is one.

I am the spirit in whose mind abides the miracle in which all time stands still; the miracle in which a minute spent in using these ideas becomes a time that has no limit and that has no endI will give, then, these minutes willingly, and count on Him Who promised to lay Histimelessness beside them. He will offer all His strength to every little effort that I make. I will willingly give Him the minutes which He asks fortoday, in order to help me understand with Him that I am the spirit that abides in His Holy Spirit, and that calls through His Voice to every living thing; offering His sight to everyone who asks; and who replaces error with the simple everlasting truth.

God's Holy Spirit will gladly take five minutes of each hour from myhands, and carry them around this aching world where pain and miseryappear to rule. He will not overlook one open mind that will accept the healing gifts they bring, and He will lay them everywhere He knows they will be welcome. And they will increase in healing power each time someone accepts them as his own thoughts, and then uses them to heal.

Thus will each gift of my loving thought I give to Him be multiplied a thousandfold and tens of thousands of times more. And when it is returned to me, it will surpass in might the little gift I gave as much as does the radiance of the sun outshine the tiny gleam a firefly makes inan uncertain moment and which then goes out. The steady brilliance of this light remains with me and leads me out of my darkness, nor will Iever be able to forget the way back to Light again.

I will begin these happy exercises with the words God's Holy Spirit speaks to me, and let them echo around the world through Him:

Spirit am I, a holy Son of God, free of all limits, safe and healed and whole, free to forgive, and free to save the world.

Expressed through meGod's Holy Spirit will accept this gift that I havereceived of Him, then increase its power and give it back to meThus am I empowered to be God's miracle worker! Thus am I made whole!

Yes, I will offer each practice period today gladly to Him. And He will speak directly to me, reminding me that I am spirit, at-one-with Him and God, all my brothers, and my True Self. I will listen for His assurance every time I speak the words He offers me today, and I will let Him tellmy mind that HIS Words are true. I will use HIS Words against alltemptation, and thereby escape temptations sorry consequences (should I momentarily yield to the belief that I am something else than spirit).God's Holy Spirit gives me perfect peace today. I will receive His Words, and offer them back to Him.

Amen. (And so it IS.)

__________________________

Namaste, 

David