Friday, April 02, 2010

Commentary on ACIM Lesson 92
©2010 Rev. David Seacord


Miracles are seen in light, and light and strength are one.


Sometimes I am told that my Commentaries are 'more enjoyable' to read than the lessons. I admit that the Course is not always the easiest reading material. For to study it sometimes requires 'a mental rigorousness'. But I am not writing in order to be a substitute for that rigor, but rather, as an encouragement (for myself also) to engage in it. And maybe to be a 'lighter but nutritious reading dessert' before the main meal. Even if you are not a 'student of the Course', and are reading without that intentionality, these Commentaries serve to give you repeated opportunities to receive from it, simply by being available on the same page. You do, on occasion, read a few lines of the lesson, right? Sometimes such a chanced upon thought is the exact perfect remedy....

For me, the reason I keep coming back to the Course for inspiration is that it reverses my incorrect thinking, and that 'blows my mind'. And the reason I am 'teaching' is not because I know (even though the Self within me does) but in order to learn more deeply.

What do I learn? Besides 'Deep Quietness', I learn to be with what is, for one thing. Sometimes I arrive at 'first draft writing time' full and overflowing with languaged self-expression (words), some times I am a dry bone. Both have their lessons.

Being 'full and overflowing' might be over the top for some readers, and for me, I may miss adding in important details, leaping from concept to concept without clearly drawing the connection. When I see this in hindsight, I sometimes make edits to the archived version as a result. Why not? There are no rules here, except 'to deliver a communion worthy of the time spent'.

Being a 'dry bone' is an opportunity to learn trust and patience. I will sit, be silent, and wait. A thought will be tossed from somewhere onto my mental viewer screen. If I get a strong feeling it is to be part of the Commentary, I write it. Then I wait again. And in a bit, another thought will arrive. Often I am blind, and don't know where I am going. But I have learned my true Author does. In the end, I will suddenly see the whole picture, what is being said. Then I simply work to edit for clarity.

All this is spoken to in today lesson, as it speaks brilliantly to distinguish our connection to the source of our strength. As there is alway (for me) at least a few lines that are potently powerful, I encourage you to give Course material a chance.

But there is no rush. Some small Course-presented idea well-chewed is better than reading the whole thing without comprehension. I will highlight a few worthy candidates.

Namaste,

David