Saturday, March 13, 2010

Commentary on ACIM Lesson 72
©2010 Rev. David Seacord

Holding grievances is an attack on God's plan for salvation.


We understand as we are ready. How could it be otherwise? Expressed as a principle: Whatever we trust will teach us something, and the more we are able to trust it, the more we are able to learn from it.

I have for you a similar quote: "What you think upon grows. Whatever you allow to occupy your mind you magnify in your life. Whether the subject of your thought be good or bad, the law works and the condition grows. Any subject that you keep out of your mind tends to diminish in your life, because what you do not use atrophies. The more you think of grievances, the more such trials you will continue to receive; the more you think of the good fortune you have had, the more good fortune will come to you."
--Emmet Fox from Make Your Life Worthwhile, 1942
(predates 'The Course, of course :-) (And, Not that that means anything :-)

****************************************************

In the beginning this Course asked very little, yet it's Voice was clear and true. Therefore, we began following it. And like cards being revealed as the anti is upped, the Course has patiently explained the requirements of the path as they have grown. For grown they must, if we are also to grow.

Our friend on this journey has been our own Voice for Truth. This comes from our inner unpolluted soul center, where our sacred core is held holy, and protected from the world. The Course refers to this Voice as Holy Spirit, and explains it is the communications link between who we are (not who think we are as an ego/body) and God. And this Spirit is also our Guide, for it knows completely both the Reality of God AND the ways of man's world. Its fundamental job is to free us from our egoic self-deception.

As I am exactly like you, I am doing 'my best' to do the Course, and usually failing to meet my own idealized standards. I'm therefore often tempted to 'feel guilty' about that. In my Sufi lineage is a famous saying: "Shatter your ideals upon the rock of truth!" To me this means 'there isn't anything to forgive, there is just to get what is'. Another Sufi quote is: "It is not how many times you fall, but how many times after you fall that you rise again, that determines your destiny." With practice, I am getting better at not judging my failures to meet my 'ideal' (which is clearly 'spiritual ego' based) and just beginning again.

Right now I am leading a very simple monk-like life, which I tremendously enjoy, being at heart a very simple being, and capable of finding joy in just about anything authentic. Inside of this life, I care for my aged parents needs, take care of their property, express my love of beauty by painting, and be concerned with 'my sadhana' (or spiritual life and practices). It is a life that very few 'in the world' would wish for, and yet, it is what I desire right now. I know this because I have created it.

And, I also have an ongoing 24/7 conversation inside me (probably just like you) of subtle and not so subtle 'grievances', desires, fantasys, dreams, and anxieties. On my peaceful days, something is present in me that allows all those conversations to recede to pretty quiet decibel levels. That something is the conversation in my heart between the authentic me, and God.

These Commentaries are like the visible tip of the iceberg of my conversations with God. Somedays, they are pretty pure too, just like some of my painting (same source) are masterpieces (while others are 'a good go at it'). But it is all ultimately only about the practice.

I was once told a story by a guitar teacher about the difference between a master and an amateur. What he said was: Both play the guitar and with practice, practice, practice 'have a breakthrough' which is ecstatic. The amateur becomes addicted to these breakthroughs, and is bored by the practice. The master has learned to love both.

In the spiritual life, both our practice and our breakthroughs are lessons in surrendering the way 'we see' back to God, and receiving 'how to see like God sees' back. This is true 'Self-acceptance'. This I teach today, that I may also so learn.

I thank God for being my teacher of Love. Today once again (as a repetitive practice), I am seeing His Love 'has it all covered'.

Namaste,

David