Friday, September 17, 2010

Commentary on ACIM Lesson 253

© 2010 Rev. David Seacord

My Self is ruler of the universe.

I assume you have noticed this Course is rather free with its use of language tense shifting, which keeps the student 'on her/his toes', so to speak, figuring out what is being said. I am sure it is intentional. I think it is like in the ancient mystery schools, where the teaching delivered messages on many levels, i.e., something for everyone, but not revealing the pearls of deeper wisdom to the unawakened.

The ability to do that is also a pretty clear demonstration of Infinite Intelligence, in my opinion. In any case, if I was to pick out an example of what I am talking about, the last paragraph of todays lesson would be a good case in point. At first reading, it baffles the (my) brain (which is good) and computes as 'huh?'. I put my eyes in reverse at that point and return to the beginning of the lesson, where the clarity is obvious (for the first five sentences). I find those five sentences radical, even revolutionary, in that they confirm that each of us is the creator of our own experience, down to the nth degree. Take a look:

It is impossible that anything should come to me unbidden by myself

When I get super straight with myself, I can see this is the truth. Whatever is going on, I chose it, and even more, actively asked for it. Perhaps not consciously though, and that's the 'little catch' where we/I get to see HOW straight we are willing to be. Because when we 'go unconscious', it does not mean we cease to be creative. Hardly. The way the game usually goes is: first we are challenged, then we feel overwhelmed, then we check out (go unconscious), then we generate a lot of irresponsible (victim) thinking without 'cancel clearing' it, so that universe begins to act on it, placing our 'order' into our lives. Why? Perhaps in order to challenge us again. Why? Perhaps because we egos tend to forget God completely when all we have is 'good times'.

Even in this world, it is I who rule my destiny. What happens is what I desire. What does not occur is what I do not want to happen. This must I accept.

And why must I accept this? Only because it is the only way to become free. There is no true freedom without being willing to be responsible for it. Being responsible for true freedom is the path of the Bodhisattva. That means: being willing to surrender the ego forever. Where that leads one is then a matter of soul dharma, but one thing is for sure... the Godness will use you. For there is no such thing in Heaven as an angel without a mission. Best idea I have to offer right now: Let your joy choose a mission, then serve it joyfully.

Namaste,

David

______________________________

Lesson 253

My Self is ruler of the universe.

It is impossible that anything should come to me unbidden by myself. Even in this world, it is I who rule my destiny. What happens is what I desire. What does not occur is what I do not want to happen. This must I accept. For thus am I led past this world to my creations, children of my will, in Heaven where my holy Self abides with them and Him Who has created me.

You are the Self Whom You created Son, creating like Yourself and One with You. My Self, which rules the universe, is but Your Will in perfect union with my own, which can but offer glad assent to Yours, that it may be extended to Itself.