Friday, September 17, 2010

Commentary on ACIM Lesson 254

© 2010 Rev. David Seacord

Let every voice but God's be still in me.

Choosing to remember God in the midst of our egoic lives is a bit weird for most mass consciousness people.... but culturally, it is now far easier than it used to be. I remember a pamphlet I once had.... on the front was a beautiful Chinese brush painting showing a monk sweeping the village streets with a huge grin of ecstasy on his face. In the pamphlet was a teaching story talking about how, to the masses, the wise and enlightened ones always appeared to be 'crazy'. Again, I am sure (because NOTHING is accidental) that there is/was a Divine Intention behind all this, as one might observe that the conditions of suffering in this world are often increased by those who have physical powers and technologies but lack the spiritual maturity to use them 'wisely' (meaning: actually seeing the karmic impact of an action, and choosing only healing choices).

When every voice but God's is still in us, it is much less likely that our actions will result in suffering--- our own or others. In fact, that is the great purpose of stilling the voice of the ego--- to bring into being the end of egoic suffering, first our own, and then, by providing the example, the worlds . Whether one thinks of it in terms of 'Bodhisattva' or 'Savior' does not matter (as they express the same consciousness), pure altruistic selfless service is the destiny we all have waiting for us. It is only a matter of time, and our willingness to grow in consciousness.

As we grow, we will find our curriculum will present opportunities to serve those we judged in the past. For instance, when I was younger, I did not wish to be 'burdened' with the needs of the elderly. As you know, I have been now surrounded for nearly a year by a culture of elderly people, out of my hearts choice to come serve my parents in their twilight years. I find it interesting, to say the least, as I unlearn so many previous judgmental attitudes. It's similar to the experience I had once as a twenty-three year old vagabond in the early seventies--- living snowbound for the winter in northern Wisconsin with nine cats. After a while, they grew used to me, gradually opened up to me, let me see them telepathically, and finally, came to depend on me. Same thing with old people. I'm living with them on all sides. They were my parents friends, and I was 'something strange' when I arrived. Now, having survived their rattlesnakes while repairing their broken plumbing, I have become fully human to them, and, I noticed today, I was allowed me to see their authentic 'couple' relationship without any pretense of 'looking good'. Humm, I thought... so that's what it looks like to be them, after fifty years... Almost like I am being adopted into the tribe.

For me, this just verifies my understanding that we are all covered. And that there in no need to push the river--- that all that we truly need will arrive 'right on time'. This is faith walking--- a kind of surfing life. Having this tuned in and turned on certainly allows for less stressing, and less worrying. That is the whole purpose. For if we let our stresses and worries have us, where does that leave God? Empty handed? Naaa, that's the egos trip. It just leaves God waiting, until we remember once again, that we just had another dream of being alone.

When every voice but God's is still, being alone is impossible. :-)

Namaste,

David

_____________________________________________

Lesson 254

Let every voice but God's be still in me.

Father, today I would but hear Your Voice. In deepest silence I would come to You, to hear Your Voice and to receive Your Word. I have no prayer but this: I come to You to ask You for the truth. And truth is but Your Will, which I would share with You today.

Today we let no ego thoughts direct our words or actions. When such thoughts occur, we quietly step back and look at them, and then we let them go. We do not want what they would bring with them. And so we do not choose to keep them. They are silent now. And in the stillness, hallowed by His Love, God speaks to us and tells us of our will, as we have chosen to remember Him.