Saturday, December 25, 2010

Commentary on ACIM Lesson 355

© 2010 Rev. David Seacord

For some reason that I don't remember I found myself thinking today about the Biblical King David (who authored much of the Book of Psalms.... like Psalms 23, 'The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want', etc). The flash that came to me was: "Hmmm, David wrote that 'song' (which later became a 'holy scripture') when he was a young inspired man. Then later in his life, he did a bunch of nasty things, like intentionally set it up for one of his military officers to get killed in battle so that he, then lusty King David, could marry and bed that dead officers very hot and beautiful widow.... Hmmm, isn't it interesting that even though he did a bunch of uncool stuff later, the good stuff that he did earlier still gets included in The Bible..... Probably because he also 'came clean' later..... ".

But, all that aside, the core context of my musing was about the variable nature of my/our human consciousness.... that even the clearest people have days where the clarity can't be found... In this life we all have up times, and then we all have down times, difficult times.... at least it seems so to me. And I think this is what the Course is referring to when it says: "An untrained mind can accomplish nothing." Because without 'training' there is no habituated reality reference. No handhold to grip, so to speak.

I am naturally intelligent, habitually gravitate towards 'the eccentric', and letting myself be 'trained' has never been one of my strong points. That, of course, is my ego talking. For the truth is that I am very grateful for all the certainty that spiritual training offers, especially as the speed of the world intensifies.... at the very least when under duress, I do eventually remember enough of myself to start following my breath, even when very reactivated. And, if I go to the breath sooner, it's way more better & less reactivation... :-)

Anyway, we all know where some of our deepest core reactivation areas lie..... let me guess...family of origin?.... you'd be so Right. Jeezzzz.... what a mess of triggers (read bed of red-hot coals) to find a path through! I guess I had it easy, getting kinda 'makeshift comfortable' here at my parents place while they were in assisted living.... but now 'Momma's come home' and 'a few' different points of view have emerged to get worked out :-). Anyway, the way forward is generally forward and so there have been a few conversations going on between her and I that I am glad have been private... as I discover that I can morph from mature adult to prepubescent in nanoseconds (depending on the trigger) and that it is my spiritual training that makes the reverse journey out of the pit possible.

There is a teaching that I remember from my Body Electronics studies.... "It is the responsibility of the most conscious to re-establish harmory". Egoically, I don't like that teaching, but spiritually, it just works. Of course, not with an attitude of superiority however.... that will certainly backfire. But just to get that the real growth in circumstances that test us is always a function of being willing to see and accept another exactly as they are, and then to honestly communicate. Miracles are certainly guaranteed to be given us each time we do.

Namaste,

David

__________________________________

Lesson 355

There is no end to all the peace and joy,
And all the miracles that I will give,
When I accept God's Word. Why not today?

Why should I wait, my Father, for the joy You promised me? For You will keep Your Word You gave Your Son in exile. I am sure my treasure waits for me, and I need but reach out my hand to find it. Even now my fingers touch it. It is very close. I need not wait an instant more to be at peace forever. It is You I choose, and my Identity along with You. Your Son would be Himself, and know You as his Father and Creator, and his Love.