Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Commentary on ACIM Lesson 117

©2010 Rev. David Seacord

 

Reviewing:

 

(103) God, being Love, is also happiness.

(104) I seek but what belongs to me in truth.

 

 

 

"Thank you for being the local holy man here and taking care of the shrine" I called out  this morning to the potbellied shirtless motorhome-based retired single male 'drifter' as I left the hot springs I had just been soaking in (as my reward to myself for the intense labor of the just-completed art festival).  He smiled, lit up at the complimentary acknowledgement of his selfless service, and continued to pickup small pieces of trash.

 

I found myself thinking about how we all deeply appreciate being acknowledged for our contributions, and how there are so many 'ways' to be of service.  

 

Perhaps one of the most fundamental ways of being of service is 'giving good listening'.  Of course, to do that well, insightful seeing, of the kind described by the Course, is very useful.  And I have found simply being silent when with 'another' is often a very wonderful way to give permission to 'the other' to share themselves.   Especially, that is, if coupled with an occasional on point question, as this let's the speaker know she/he is being paid attention to.   

 

This simple process of being with another and paying attention is the stuff of miracles.  Why?  Because all it takes to heal a lot of our neuroticism is being seen.  It's what we all most deeply desire.... to be seen, to be known, to be loved.  

 

The counterfeits for love are advertised to us everywhere, and constantly, without let-up, by the world.  As the option to escape the world is mostly wishful thinking, what is left is to become immune to it.  That will require seeing it (the world and it's counterfeits) for what it is.  

 

Neither good nor bad, neither to be desired nor rejected, the Zen wisdom is 'to accept the world completely is identical with true enlightenment'.  That also means to accept in this moment, where we are in the world (ie, our situation, our individual conditions).  This acceptance is the authentic place to begin creating a life in alignment with our highest good (and that means necessarily, everyone else's highest good too).   

 

Inscribed into the marble of the San Diego City Hall this last weekend I read the words: "The Greatest Motive is the Public Good".  Whoever wrote the words, I am sure, understood what Love Is.  And how is this 'greatest motive' expressed?  From within our own unique and individual positions in life, as we are able, we serve selflessly, just like the 'local holy man taking care of the hot springs disguised as a potbellied drifter'.  Once again, nothing is ever "as it seems...."

 

Namaste, 

 

David

 

Lesson 117

For morning and evening review:

(103) God, being Love, is also happiness.

Let me remember love is happiness, and nothing else 
brings joy. And so I choose to entertain no substitutes 
for love.

(104) I seek but what belongs to me in truth.

Love is my heritage, and with it joy. These are the 
gifts my Father gave to me. I would accept all that is 
mine in truth.

On the hour:

God, being Love, is also happiness.

On the half hour:

I seek but what belongs to me in truth.