Friday, April 30, 2010


Commentary on ACIM Lesson 120

©2010 Rev. David Seacord

 

Reviewing:

 

(109) I rest in God.

(110) I am as God created me

 

__________________________________

 

Perfect certainty certainly isn't to be found 'in this world', which is why Jesus declared "My kingdom is NOT 'of this world'" to his listeners.  It's a good example of the truth that changes in external conditions do not change Reality.  The 'world', as beautiful and lovely as it is, is still 'temporary, transient phenomena', and all treasure laid up at it's feet shall inevitably return  (as will our bodies) to dust.  (Actually, even beyond that, ultimately, everything will return to 'thought'.) 

 

But on a more practical level, perfect certainty is available and useable in the navigation of life while in a body.  And there is nothing that one cannot be certain of, once 'emptiness' is a well grounded practice.  In Christian terminology, 'emptiness' might translate to 'selfless', because what oneness IS is emptiness of self-seeking self, and at the same 'time', the fullness of Self-as-everything.  The reason one can then be certain 'anywhere/anywhen' is that when 'nobody's home' (as an ego) the truth about everything is present, because it is the truth about a thing that actually is 'the thing'. We/I just don't see it because we have attached our egoic points of view to it (automatically, and so quickly that it is faster than even the recognition of the object).  

 

Letting the Godness work through the 'me-thought' requires only that I recognize (at least a little) that I am OF a Beyondmyselfness.  My 'roots' are of a Greaterthanmeness.   I am required to hold this recognition so that I do not hurt myself by egoically striving to force an outcome counter to divine intention.  As Pir Vilayat used to say to the young Sufi-me, 'pay attention, and you will see that those things you desired with all your power to be (but which were not given), when looked at from the perspective of a few additional years... they become "Thank you God that you didn't listen to me then.  I can see now that would have be a horrible mistake"....'  I am sure all our lives are full of these kinds of memories.  Yet in the moment, yes, it is sometimes hard to feel the feeling and cry the tears and release the dreams.  I know this because I am human too.  

 

The gift of releasing 'the dreams' is 'emptiness'.  It is into this emptiness that the Sun/Son/Sum of the Godness pours itself.  It is into this vessel made empty by the surrender of 'the person' that the human-at-one-with-the-Godness arises from.  This is divine transformation.  To have it, simply hold onto nothing, even and especially, 'who you are'.  As the lesson today suggests, let God tell us that.  

 

Namaste, 

 

David

 

Lesson 120

For morning and evening review:

(109) I rest in God.

I rest in God today, and let Him work in me and 
through me, while I rest in Him in quiet and in 
perfect certainty.

(110) I am as God created me.

I am God's Son. Today I lay aside all sick illusions of 
myself, and let my Father tell me Who I really am.

On the hour:

I rest in God.

On the half hour:

I am as God created me.